The Proposal: Sheri Yesufu and Ayo Rufai

05:56

The Proposal: Sheri Yesufu and Ayo Rufai

Love is truly a beautiful thing to find and we all hope that we find a love that lasts forever: our one true love who gets us to act completely out of character just to ensure that they never doubt their
place in our lives.

Last month we shared the story of how Sheri and Ayo met (click here if you missed it) and you will agree with me that Ayo  'mentored' Sheri so much that she just had to be his girl.😁😁😁

Today, I bring you the story of how the properly planned and executed proposal went down. Ayo did put a lot of hard work and detailed consideration into ensuring that this proposal was one that would gladden Sheri's heart; I smiled as I read through, I hope you will too..

Enjoy!
The Proposal: Sheri Yesufu and Ayo Rufai

Ayo

I could write a small book about this. The proposal was a mini-research endeavour for me; I spent weeks researching different things like the type of ring to buy, where to buy from? Where to propose? When to propose? How to actually propose? I had already got a ring-sizer which I used to “codedly” measure her ring finger early into our relationship. We had been dating for about a year and I had been speaking to her family on the phone. I had even met some of them on another short visit to Nigeria. But I had never spoken to her dad before. 

So, I thought it would be ideal to speak to him before proposing to his daughter. I called and told him I wanted to spend the rest of my life with his daughter, that I wanted to marry her (Sherri thought I just called to greet him). I called her mum too with the same intention.
Next, after spending weeks checking out rings online and in stores all over London, I finally chose a stunning Neil Lane double halo diamond ring. 

Deciding on where to propose proved to be a daunting task, I had so many options: 

1. At The O2 Arena (where we had our first date. Too crowded).

2. At the Sea Life London Aquarium (where we had our first kiss under the watchful eyes of the penguins. Too private).

3. Using a flash mob at Trafalgar square (this was quickly discarded because I didn’t want her to faint from been too shy).

4. At the movies (discarded because someone had recently done that and I wanted to be original).

5. At the top of The Shard (she’d probably have figured out what was about to happen).

The options were endless.

Fortunately, I came across the secluded Kyoto gardens. It was perfect, not too private and not too public. Just about right. I knew she would love it!

Next thing was deciding when to propose. I had planned to propose on Saturday, October 22nd, 2016, but that week, she got her final results from UCL. My baby had graduated with a distinction and was the most academically outstanding student of her MSc Chemical Engineering class. I was super proud of my “efiko”. 

In order not to take the shine away from her result celebrations, I had to move the proposal to the next Saturday; 29th of October. I told her that some of my friends and I were planning to hang out and that I wanted her to come along. She agreed. Because, most of her school friends had gone back to their home countries, I was only able to get in contact with one of them, Abi (as I wanted her to have a familiar face around).  
Unfortunately, Abi couldn’t make it but promised to reach her on the phone after the deed was done. I asked my friend, Kunle to help me get a bouquet of red roses and to bring it along the next day.


The Proposal: Sheri Yesufu and Ayo Rufai

On the D-day, we all met up at the park. After walking around for a while with our friends walking closely but codedly behind, we got to a quiet place. I went on one knee, brought out the ring and said:

Baby, 
Loving you has been my greatest achievement till date! 
I can’t wait to spend the rest of my life with you. 
I can’t wait to start calling you “my wife”.
I love you forever! 
Will you marry me?

This babe refused to answer me, covering her face and shifting backwards. Ahnahn! 
Eventually, she stretched out atrembling hand and said YES!

Kunle brought out the roses and handed them over. We walked hand in hand around the park and laterretired to an old English restaurant for dinner with our friends.

In retrospect, I would never have thought of myself as someone who would propose in public. I was genuinely mad over my baby!!

The Proposal: Sheri Yesufu and Ayo Rufai

Sheri

It was a month after I was done with school. Ayo had told me that a bunch of his friends were meeting up at a park for a picnic or something, and that they had invited us. 
I don't know what was up with me that day because my proposal radar was just not on point. At this stage in our relationship, we were already certain that we had both found the "One" and were already making plans for our future together. 

Regardless of that, I never really pictured a proposal when I thought about our future; I just pictured us already married. Lol. 

The Proposal: Sheri Yesufu and Ayo Rufai

Even when we got to the'park' and it turned out to be the beautiful Japanese-themed Kyoto Gardens. I was too occupied taking selfies in front of the mini waterfall and the peacocks to notice anything else.

One minute my back was turned, and the next my gorgeous man was on one knee and holding up the most beautiful ring. I wanted to enter the ground! 
I wasn't even listening to what he was saying. 
Friends and strangers alike were taking pictures and applauding. I was so shy I don't even remember saying yes.

One thing I love about Ayo is that he is the best at surprises. He gives nothing away. He is always very thorough and never does anything half-heartedly. I'm absolutely awed by the thought he put into making that day very special for me.


If you also think Ayo would make a great event planner, put your hand up 
🙋🙋🙋

I wish the beautiful couple a very amazing life together, may this love grow stronger with time..

Can't wait to SLAY at #SHAY2017!!!!!!

Credits:
Photography: Sergiu Iliev
Locations: 
Yellow Dress/Grey Blazers: Guildhall Art Gallery, London 
Jeans: Love Lane, London
Black Dress: Royal Albert Hall, London / Royal College of Music, London
Styled by: #SHAY

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *