Depths Of Motion...Dancing Above Failure

09:28

Depths Of Motion

Hey folks! Hope you had a great weekend? Mine was refreshing and had me learning more about friendships, holding on, healing and moving through life in the amazing awareness of who God has
groomed me into. Just like me, is one of my old friends, Jeremy Akpomera who is also growing and harnessing the gift God has instilled in him. This young man started a dance academy in the ancient city of Benin through trials, disappointments, hurts and even giving up TWICE; he rose again and still soars in the art of making more..
Be inspired!

Depths Of Motion


Depths Of Motion

UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL
Jeremy Akpomera is my name, I was born some "twenty-something" years ago to Dr & Mrs Eddy Akpomera. It is a family of 4 children, with me being the first.
I was born and raised in Benin and had my entire educational background in the same city. From ABC WONDERLAND SCHOOL to GARRICK MEMORIAL NURSERY AND PRIMARY SCHOOL to UNIVERSITY PREPARATORY SECONDARY SCHOOL and finally UNIVERSITY OF BENIN, studying Geology.
My love for dance has been from being a toddler and I joined various dance activities through out my primary school but actually made the art a part of me in my secondary school. I joined the school dance team, RHYTHMNATION and the experience was simply surreal; as year in and out amazing dance pieces were created and the team featured in virtually all school events.  My passion for dance grew and I wasn't satisfied with just dancing anymore, I wanted to create dance pieces of my own. Upon graduation from secondary school, I took the job of Choreographer at my school and that was the genesis of me becoming a Choreographer and Dance Director.

Depths Of Motion


Depths Of Motion


The STARTUP
The idea to start up a dance organization came in 2011. The idea was borne to create dance training modules that will stand out from the norm and performances that will linger in people's minds and create a redefine understanding of the art. Then in 2013, the idea was converted into a business today known as DEPTHS of MOTION DANCE COMPANY. The company started with Zero Naira but a heart to create an unconventional dance business. Today, it is the only Professional Contemporary and Jazz dance company in Edo State.
Depths Of Motion

Depths Of Motion

STRUGGLE AND HUSTLE
Our first major constraint was a stable rehearsal venue as we moved from place to place and it affected clients, members and students commitment. Financial constraint was also there as a student and jobs weren't consistent, but we held on to the vision and ideology that birthed the company and pulled through even after scrapping the company twice.

Depths Of Motion

PERSONAL CHALLENGES
Personally, I was hit hard by academic issues which made me lose a couples of years in the university, but I held on to certain principles and belief systems. Even when all was literally making no head way, God showed up for me, I came back and now I am about completing my tertiary education.

Depths Of Motion

BALANCING WORK AND SCHOOL 
The simple principle about balancing is "understanding yourself per time". I maximize my holidays in structuring the company and putting things in place. So when school resumes, I give much more attention to my books, knowing that I have made provision for work. During academic sessions, it's 70% - School, 30% - Company while during holidays, the reverse is the case. As soon as I graduate though, it will be 100% focus on the company.

Depths Of Motion

MENTORS and BACK BONES
I have a few mentors and persons who have stood with me from the beginning; Mrs B. Akpomera (My Mum), Dr. David Orhewere (My Pastor), Onosetale Okoh, Ifeoma Nathniel-Okonta and Victor Bagudu

Depths Of Motion

ADVICE TO ENTREPRENEURS
In this line of business, patience and persistence is key. Don't loose sight of why you started up in the first place. Pass a consistent message with your products and/or services. Be open minded to positive change and creative adjustments needed to upgrade... and ultimately trust God.

Depths Of Motion

Ain't you just ready to get your groove on? *doing a double step* 
So fam, if you're in Benin or her environs, be sure to go take classes or visit the Depths of Motion Dance Academy. I know you'll get great reception and get a comprehensive explanation to why dance is essential to you. 
 Have a great week ahead, sweetums!

xxx

(Please leave your comments below and share this article. Thank you!)

#DanceAcademy
#DepthsOfMotion
#Entrepreneurs
#HoldingOn
#MakingMore

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *